Julia Farr Youth (JFY)
Julia Farr Youth (JFY) is an advisory group of young adults living with disability aged 18 to 30, established in 2008. JFY is hosted by JFA and provides advice to the organisation about the interests of young people living with disability. JFY is not a board of directors in itself but does operate under the guidance of the JFA Board and reports to them regularly.
JFY gives voice to young people living with disability and advocates for young people living with disability to have the same opportunities as their non-disabled peers.
How we hope it will help
The core work of JFY is based on providing information and capacity building opportunities to young people living with disability, and hearing from them about what can help advance their life chances.
The work of JFY includes:
- developing new initiatives that provide information and capacity building opportunities to young people living with disability
- making recommendations to government and influencing policy by preparing submissions and articles about youth disability issues
- presenting at expos, conferences, forums and schools to raise-awareness and represent the interests of young people living with disability.
- providing advice to JFA and contributing to JFA projects that effect young people living with disability
- Providing consultancy services to local, state and Commonwealth government interests, and also to disability sector agencies, about what is important to young people living with disability.
JFY operates within the framework of the following:
- Model of Citizenhood Support
- United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disability
- United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child
- The National Disability Strategy
- The Disability Standards for Education
Currently, meetings take place on the third Tuesday evening of each month. Members are also required to contribute to JFY’s work (within their capacity) outside of attending monthly meetings including working on current projects.
How to apply
JFY is seeking applicants who are able to share insight from their lived experiences and who are passionate about social change. Applicants must possess the necessary time, energy and commitment to JFY and our important work.
If you think you have what it takes to become a member of JFY, download the Position Information below. JFY is committed to an adequate balance of members from diverse backgrounds and fields of expertise. Only suitable candidates will be provided the application form and invited to apply.
JFY welcomes opportunities from government and non-government entities to contribute to policy and research. Please get into contact if you want JFY to provide their perspective on a topic that impacts on young people living with disability. You can reach JFY directly by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fellow young people living with disability are also encouraged to contact us by email or social media to raise issues and share ideas that JFY may be able to focus on.
If you want further information, you can contact Project Officer – Youth, Letitia by email email@example.com or phone 8373 8325.